We know we have made tremendous progress in the last 6 months, especially with our small half victory on June 27th. However, we don’t want to lose the war because we think we have won half of the first battle. We have more battles to fight.
You can help by:
- Printing out this petition sheet and going into Seal Beach to get Seal Beach residents to sign it petition. If they have already signed one, please DO NOT have them sign again.
- Tell everyone to leave their yard signs up, as we have not won the fight yet.
- Ask Seal Beach residents if they would like a yard sign. If they do, we can provide them with one.
- When the time comes to attend the BIG City Council meeting (possibly sometime in August), we need to be out there with huge force, hopefully even crowding into the street.
- If you live in Seal Beach, please write to your specific council person and let them know you are opposed to the project and encourage them to vote in opposition, as well.
We really need to FOCUS on SEAL BEACH.
Please read the status below:
- The Environmental Impact Report was approved/certified with a 3-2 vote (Machen, Thomas, Klinger in favor; Aguilar and Campbell opposed)
- The Conditional Use Permit was denied with a 3-2 vote (Thomas, Klinger in favor; Machen, Aguilar and Campbell opposed)
Since the Planning Commission was only provided with a resolution to approve the CUP, the Commission had to direct staff to prepare a new resolution denying the CUP. This item will be brought back to the Commission on July 17 to formalize the denial by adopting the resolution.
No action or attendance is required on our part for this to happen nor will their be any public comment on this item at that time. However, we should have some people in attendance at this meeting. The City Council meeting this last Monday, July 10th had one person speaking in favor of the LA Fitness and no one in opposition. Probably a good idea to still have people going to Monday night meetings down at City Hall to counteract anyone speaking in favor.
There are three possible outcomes once the resolution opposing the LA Fitness Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is adopted on July 17.
1) The developer can appeal that decision after it is adopted by the Commission on July 17. It will then be scheduled to City Council hopefully sometime in August. This course of action is very probable. We still do not know if an appeal has been filed by the developer. We, the Coalition, have already filed for an appeal against the Planning Commission’s decision to approve the Environmental Impact Report.
2) The developer does not appeal the decision to City Council, then the project is dead.
3) The developer withdraws their application prior to July 17 and makes another attempt in the future. This course of action is highly unlikely.